Friday, October 21, 2011

Hinds & Feet

The craziness of this past week is past, and I'm sitting here in my house alone -- my right foot all wrapped up in a cast and funky half-shoe thing. This morning I had bunion surgery -- after a couple years, I decided to just get the thing over and done with. I had finally had enough of not being able to find shoes. I'm not even after heels -- just some Ariat Fat Babies would suffice. OK, yes, I am after cute shoes. Who am I kidding? :-) Anyway, it was a quick outpatient procedure and the nerve block on my foot's still doing its job, so I'll be nicely wrapped in a cocoon of numbness for awhile yet.

So that's the big event in my life. My 11 (closer to 12) year old had a big event yesterday -- both are gross in my opinion, but his was a significant grossness -- a major rite of passage in these parts. He took down his first buck. Paul had arranged with a well-connected local to take Isaac out Thursday morning for his first-ever hunt. They got up early and left before sunrise with a stop at our little cafe for breakfast. Honestly, I didn't think anything would come of the hunt. A nice father/son outing, a few spent rounds...(is that the right terminology?)

So a few hours passed and Isaac came into the senior center where I was cooking and said, "Mom, come look at this." I just kindof stopped and realized what he meant. "No way. Are you serious? Did you really do it?" He was just smiling & nodding as I walked out with him to see what he had brought to show me.

I'm not so good with blood and guts -- changing diapers and wiping up puke, not a problem. Gross, but not my undoing. Not so with animal carcasses...ewww, ewww, ewww. But I looked anyway and saw the fallen buck - 3 antlers on each side; again, I don't know the right hunting terms. Isaac was feeling its tongue going, "The tongue feels weird." I was swallowing bile, making odd sounds, smiling, telling Isaac all the Mom stuff like, "Wow! That's...great!" Inside, I'm thinking, where on earth are we putting this thing?! Gross!!! Thankfully, Tyke, who is fully set up at his place to handle such things took Isaac's deer home and is generously taking care of it until next week when it's time to butcher. I will NOT be participating in that event.

So in a few months, the antlers will be mounted on a plaque in Isaac's room, commemmorating his first hunt. A pretty big deal for an 11 year old -- it's fun hearing Paul retell how it all happened...telling how Isaac got it on his second shot and how it was a near-perfect shot.

And speaking of hunting, while I'm here alone with lots of peace and quiet (but a little lonesome too), Isaac's out hunting prairie dogs & squirrels with Grandpa, Laurel has already made applesauce with Grandma, found a new kitten out in the barn and named it "Sweetie," after one of Grandma Marsha's cats, and Josh is undoubtedly going full speed with occasional stops for Grandma's cranberry relish, ice cream, honey on a spoon, making guns out of cardboard tubes & masking tape...all that wonderful stuff you find at Grandpa & Grandma's house.

And as for me, I'm going to do the wonderful & unthinkable...make a plate of food for myself, get comfy and watch old movies all alone. Great for a day or two, but I'll be more than ready for the hugs and kisses that will be coming my way on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment