Thursday, October 13, 2011

4-Wheelers & Surrender

Time to blog again. If for no reason other than to not see the heading of that last post, now ten months old. I've been tired of looking at it for months but hadn't had a shred of desire to blog. Looking back, it truly was a harsh winter -- according to local old timers, the worst they'd ever seen. The snow lingered until May, and boots and scarves stayed out WAY longer than what this girl thought was reasonable. But spring eventually came. And went. Same with summer.

Now it's mid-October, and winter is not far away. But thankfully we're prepared for what's supposed to be another hum-dinger of a winter. Silly phrase, but funny to write it anyway. Anyway, we're equipped now with what will hopefully prevent any more impalings by snow shovel. Uneven sidewalks covered in snow on a downward slope combined with a 200 pound man's full weight just don't mix.

Anyway, after much hunting and much researching, Paul found his 4-wheeler. It's fun to buzz around on around town, will remove much drama from coming snow removal and will be a blast pulling the kids around on the sled...right down the center of Richey's main street.

OK, on to the topic at hand. Surrender vs. Resignation. I wonder if you've ever considered those two words together. At first, they seem so similar. But after having them marinate in my mind over the last couple of weeks (nice mental picture, huh), I'm seeing that they're vastly different. It comes down to one thing.

When you're resigned to something, it's usually accompanied by a huffy sigh, maybe a martyr-like, "Well, if that's how it is, then I can't do anything to change it" type of sentiment, whether spoken or not. There's an external releasing of circumstances, but the inner fight remains. Any time the subject comes up, there's fire inside. It's not a dead thing -- it's still powerful. I can think of lots of times I've been resigned to something. Giving into my powerlessness to alter circumstances or people, but nowhere near giving up the fight inside. Wonder if anyone else identifies with that.

So what's surrender then? I'm coming to see surrender as one of the sweetest gifts God gives. It's not just acknowledging that I am powerless to change circumstances or people. It's letting the fight inside die. Walking away from the idea that I have to make sure my perspective is not only heard but validated. Gets into delicate territory, doesn't it. So counter-intuitive.

I had an experience last night where I made a conscious decision to surrender. Not be resigned where I was compliant on the outside but seething on the inside. Just simple surrender. I did it and was surprised by the sweetness that followed. Just peace.

There's lots more to explore with this, but for now it's time to sign off. Kids are home from school and I've got some celebrating to do with my three young scholars, all of who came home with great news of A's and A+'s earned today.

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see you were blogging again! I got the notification and couldn't wait to see what had been marinating... :)
    So great. I honestly can't think of a lot to say other than, "Amen!". Surrender IS sweet because God is trustworthy and good. Thank you for sharing. More please.
    xo Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say it but i've been struggling with that exact issue since January. I just plain fought it for a few months...mad all the time and happy to let everyone know about it. Then came resignation...then a few months later i thought i had really surrendered only to be slapped in the face with my own anger once again when things took a turn i didnt expect. Bad news is i found out that i'm not where i need to be (or thought i was) in my relationship with Jesus. Good news is i know it now and can do something about it.
    I don't know why i find trusting Him to be so hard, when i know He is faithful and true...
    Thanks for the words old friend! Keep them coming! Love you....

    ReplyDelete