Monday, November 14, 2011

Hello Again, Guitar

Today I got my guitar out after not having touched it since last winter. The months just came and went, but there was no spark inside me to want to keep trying.

But this morning had some tough moments, and the thought just kept coming to grab my guitar (despite the fact that I only know like 5 chords) and go to the church sanctuary to be alone with God. It took a few minutes, but pretty soon I was slowly finding my way through the songs I had half-way learned. Your Blood Speaks a Better Word, How Deep the Father's Love for Us, Be Still My Soul, Jesus - Be the Center. I felt frustrated that I couldn't play the way I want to, but it felt good to at least try and produce a marginally recognizable progression of chords. To just be bare and safe before God -- offering Him what I had, knowing that He's after a pure heart, not a perfect performance.

My son Josh (age 7) was just clearing the table. He stopped and smiled as he said, "Mom, I feel like God is smiling down on me." I smiled back and said, "Oh yes. He is. Because He loves you." That was it. But it was a sweet moment. One that touched me on his behalf but also because I needed it for me, too.

You know that song that has the lyrics, "You dance over me while I am unaware. You sing all around, but I never hear the sound. Lord, I'm amazed by you, how you love me." If the loving, reassuring voice of my Father is the one I'm tuned into, I'm free.

Well, that same boy is now at my elbow reminding me that I said he could practice his SpongeBob typing at 7:15. And 7:15 it is, so off I go. Funny - he's reading what I'm writing. A funny thing, this new era.

No comments:

Post a Comment