Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Significant Insignificance"



I never knew feeling small could be so helpful in my understanding of God. It was through a teaching by Louie Giglio called "How Great is Our God" that my eyes were opened to the incomprehensible vastness of the universe and smallness of planet earth by comparison. I'd never seen photos that capture the outer reaches of the known universe combined with an explanation of where earth fits into that. Our smallness as a planet is mind-boggling; much less our smallness as individuals.

It's simple to say, but wrapping your mind around this is another thing: the God who spoke it all into existence set his love on our microscopic planet. He loves it, and he loves its inhabitants; knowing every individual human being who has drawn breath on it across the ages. Including me. And you. And not only does he know we exist, but he knows us down to the cell, down to the thought, motive, everything.

This simple but strong picture came when this realization was starting to sink in. Also, it was about eight months into a season of uncertainty. Unknowns were pressing in, and I was seeking God for guidance and peace.
May 2009

The Picture

Jesus' hand is cupped with planet earth sitting in his palm. In light of the universe surrounding earth, as human beings we're infantesimal. Smaller than microscopic. Yet in this smallness we're known and valued -- resting in the palm of the all-powerful, all-knowing Creator God. Right on top of his scar that makes this place with him possible. His significance establishes our significance.

Responding
Sometimes the circumstances that surrounds us look big because we measure big-ness by what our physical eyes absorb. Then we feel threatened when life is full of unknowns; when the bottom seems to drop out of everything and you wonder what in the world is going on. Been there?

How big is your view of God? How big is your view of yourself? Your circumstances? If you're overwhelmed, what does that tell you about the way you see God?

If everything is looming large, a great place to start in countering that is to accept & affirm the truth of your smallness. Just go outside on a starry night and look up (easy for me to say; I live in the country) :-). Still, whether you can see the stars or not, ask God to help you take in your smallness and His big-ness. That your place with him is one who is known and loved; one in whom He is personally doing a transforming work.

While the imagery is different, Isaiah 49:16 gives a picture of Israel being tattooed on God's palm. As his holy and dearly loved children we have this place with him, too.

5 comments:

  1. My problem is, how do I hold onto that realization??? I have seen the same teaching and it leaves me in awe of God and his power, and my insignificance!! But 2 weeks later I am going about everything the same old way...I so lack follow thru. How do I keep my awe and wonder fresh??
    BTW, Cindy--this is why I love you and miss you...what an insightful creature you are!
    This is from Heather, but Google won't let me on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems there's some technical stuff with blogging that I'm not getting. Don't know what's going on with Google.

    Heather, I hear you. How does truth sink its way far enough inside that it changes how we think? No easy answers...just turning our faces toward Truth as soon as we realize we've turned away, whether on purpose or not.
    I wonder, what would happen if this perspective always governed my interactions with others? I wouldn't be intimidated, plagued with fearing rejection. I'd be free to love -- to give and receive it without condition. To be transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,
    Thanks for posting your blog on facebook! I would have never known about if you wouldn't have shared it on there. I will check back soon. I enjoyed your message! I continue to download northgate's sermon, but it just isn't as applicable to my life as Paul's were. I have quit listening to them. Seems funny that now I'll come "feed" on your messages. Maybe you two should start "Sponheim and Sponheim Ministries" or something! Blessings to you and yours! Laura Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem with "holding God in our beliefs" is that while they may come and go or change - God never does...When we realize that our beliefs may be a pathway - God is always much much larger...Trust in the Holy Spirit to guide you. There is not a spot where God is not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am ready for another one Cindy! I am addicted! :) Jen

    ReplyDelete